Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lace Tree Instructions





I do not have a lot of pics of the steps for this,
but think it is a pretty simple project for you.


I started with a Styrofoam cone, about 12" tall.
(you can do any size you want of course).

It took about 2 1/2 yards lace.
(I used 4" lace removed from a comforter.)

You will also need:
a glass goblet or dessert dish for the base,
appropriate glue, (or straight pins)
a piece of cardboard about 4" around.



OK, Here we go.

cut a circle of cardboard the size of the bottom of the cone,
and glue on. to bottom of Styrofoam.

(I used hot glue on the whole thing.
It did not work well,
but i was in too much of a hurry to wait to get the appropriate glue. =0)
(OK you crafters out there,
what kind should i use next time?)

Now glue Styrofoam with cardboard base onto bottom of goblet.
I placed my tree on a lazy susan
(you know, the ones you buy for your kitchen spices.
You an usually get them at thrift stores pretty cheap.)

Cut a piece of lace the circumference of the bottom of the cone.
wrap and glue in back.
Continue up to top of cone,
lapping lace only as much as necessary to cover previous layer.
(these can all be pinned too.
I could not find my straight pins).

When you get to the top,
use a piece that is slightly taller than the cone.
cut "V's" into it, so it will fit smoothly over tip of cone
with no extra bulk.
I cut 4 or 5 "V's" in mind.
Glue down and pinch to make a god tip on your tree.

Use whatever beads, trims, ribbons etc to finish it off.
(my beads are from a necklace I tore apart.)


I covered my glass with more lace.
But leaving the glass as is looks great too.
I was just playing.

One more tip:

You could use less lace, and spend less time,
by simply wrapping lace in one continuous piece up and around cone.
It is a whole different look, but still so sweet.

Let me know if you do one up.
I will post it and show everyone.

blessings

barbara jean





5 comments:

Tootsie said...

love it!!! may have to do this soon...thanks for the tips!

Carol............. said...

Just gorgeous!

Pink Princess said...

That is just SO cute and pretty. Another item on my to do list

ClassyChassy said...

Wow - that looks quick and simple!!! you are soooo clever!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh Barbara Jean, that's simply lovely! What a wonderful idea and love your tutorial. Gorgeous lace! I love, love anything lacey. Thank you for sharing and have a lovely week.

Christmas blessings,
Sandi